A Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Mr. Ahmed Raji, in the defence team of the immediate past National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd.), on Wednesday denied knowledge of the offer which the Federal Government claimed to have given the ex-NSA to let him to attend the burial of his late father, Ibrahim Dasuki, held in Sokoto on Tuesday.
Dasuki has been in the custody of the Department of State Service since December 29, 2015 despite that he had been released on bail and a recent order of the ECOWAS Court of Justice directing that the ex-NSA should be released from custody.
The Minister of Interior, retired Lt.-Gen. Abdulrahman Danbazau, had said on Tuesday that Dasuki declined an offer to visit his late father, Ibrahim Dasuki, in an Abuja hospital.
Similarly, Danbazau said Sambo had declined another offer to be in Sokoto throughout the mourning of his father.
But reacting to the claim by the minister on Wednesday, Raji denied knowledge of the offer said to have been made to the ex-NSA.
Raji spoke with journalists on court premises on Wednesday after Dasuki’s trial on charges involving diversion of arms fund before Justice Baba Yusuf of the High Court of Federal Capital Territory in Maitama, was adjourned till December 7.
Denying the acclaimed offer by the minister, Raji said his client never informed any lawyer in the defence team that he was given the opportunity by the government.
Raji said, “As his counsel, we are not aware of that.
“Our client has not told us anything of that nature and it would have been expected that if such a gesture was going to be made to him, we as counsel should have been informed so that we can advise him better.
“As I am speaking to you I am hearing about this for the first time. We are not aware of this.”
He also pushed for the immediate release on the strength of the recent judgment of the ECOWAS Court.